Public Policies Conflicts Mediation
The strategy consists of contributing with the consensual solutions construction contemplating the legitimate interests of all parties involved in situations considered controversial from the social or environmental viewpoint, without prejudicing the economic interests of all stakeholders.
Courses open for registration
Course “Public Policies Conflicts Mediation” – Rio de Janeiro – November 2017
Trainings are offered for agencies or entities working within this field, either because they are in charge of solving such conflicts impartially, like the courts, or because they are stakeholders, like the Public Ministry or Public Defenders (who can also assume the role of mediators sometimes), Executive agencies (federal, state or local), Legislative, Public Attorney’s Office, the not for profit entities or large corporations.
Examples of past trainings:
- 12-hours Course given for the Attorney General’s Office of the State of Bahia in September 2016, with the participation of Bahia State attorneys, federal public lawyers, a member of Public Ministry of Bahia, Public Defenders of the State of Bahia, attorneys from the Municipality of Salvador, civil servants of the State and Municipality working in the field of health and Research and Consulting servicescivil servants of the State courts
- 25-hours Course given for the Conciliation Chamber of Federal Attorney General’s Office in May 2016: “Public Policies Conflict Mediation”, with the participation of federal civil servants and lawyers from ICMBio, Ministry of Environment, INCRA, FUNAI, Palmares Foundation, National Department of Mineral Production and Caixa Econômica Federal, among others
- 24-hours Course given for the Central Bank University (UniBC) in May 2016, “Prevention and Resolution of Conflicts involving Public Entities”
- 12-hours Course given for the Regional Labour Court of the State of Santa Catarina (12th Region) in September 2015, with the participation of labour magistrates from the States Santa Catarina and Paraná and the members of the Public Labour Ministry of Santa Catarina
- 20-hours Course “Consensual Means of Conflict Resolution in the Public Sphere”, given for the Attorney General’s Office of the State of São Paulo and the Federal Attorney General’s School of São Paulo in October 2012
Research and Consulting services
SIS provides research services that focus on identifying conflicts with potential for consensual resolution, evaluating the efficacy of cases where the consensual resolution was adopted, comparing the outcomes (in terms of time, cost and addressing the legitimate interests of parties) in conflicts solved in the traditional (contentious) or consensual way, or by different approaches agreed with the contracting parties; in terms of consultancy, SIS advises public entities, non-profit organisations or mediation entities who intend to implement mediation programmes (or other forms of consensual resolution) for public policies conflicts resolution, in the construction of parameters for gauging and measuring the effectiveness and the quality of such programmes, of the certified mediators, of the dissemination and selection strategies for cases and mediators, among other requirements defined case by case.
SIS operates independently or in partnership with mediators certified by the agencies in charge of conflict resolution, in concrete conflicts which involve social or environmental controversies, as well as other public or economic policies. This activity is divided into:
- Conflict diagnosis and stakeholder mapping;
- Conflict mediation aiming to reach consensual solutions, respecting the applicable ethical guidelines;
- Monitoring of agreement implementation;
- Dialogue facilitation for negotiated rulemaking, including but not limited to the assistance for public consultations and hearings;
- Specialised supervision (or coaching) of mediation in public policies conflicts, either judicial or extrajudicial;
- Specialised supervision (or coaching) of negotiation in public policies conflicts, whether they are judicialised or not, helping, for example, Public Ministry (civil investigations), Public Administration (administrative process), Public Defender’s Office or other stakeholders.
To learn about the services included in each of SIS lines of action,
click on the side columns.